Serve: 6 Prep: 5 mins Cook: 1 hour
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- a pinch of ground tumeric
- a pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- salt and splash lime to taste
- Olive oin in the sauce pan. Heat over medium until hot.
- Saute onions and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes
- Add rice; cook over medium heat until rick is lightly browned, 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add broth,tumeric, csyenne pepper to saucepan and heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender, 40-45 minutes, add beans and green onions, stir lightly, then cover and stand 10 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro, season to taste with salt and lime.